Friday 31 March 2023

Life is not the same without you, dear Anna!

          


I had dedicated my novel titled 'Just Not Meant For Marriage!' to my dear Anna. Here's the tribute...                                       

Myself with the two Rs in my life!

                                        A tribute to my beloved father (Anna)

                                                   For a Very Special Person!

                     I dedicate this book to my evergreen Dad, Ramesh Sharma. Fondly called Anna by us, he is the person who taught us to be brave and confident, while struggling against all odds. His unstinting support was behind the success of my mother as a Principal. An old adage goes, “Behind every successful man, there is a woman.” My father turned this adage on its head! “Behind every successful woman, there is a man!” 

                      He was like ‘The Rock of Gibraltar’ for her, always helping her out with the chores, guiding us in our home-work, availing leave for our Board Exams to ferry us to and from our respective exam centres and attending to his work at his office. He ensured that we didn't only study, but had hobbies and other recreation too.

                 I’ll especially never forget how he spent several sleepless nights when I had severe jaundice, as a young girl. He would be always at my bedside, at the hospital and later, at home, administering my medicines on time, buying and giving me the appropriate diet as prescribed by the physician and encouraging me with kind, loving words and lots of Chandamama books!    

                      Later in life, when I insisted on having an arranged, but registered marriage, without matching horoscopes; and with a list of attributes to be possessed by my would-be groom, my father ran around meeting prospective grooms, apprising them of my ‘demand’ for a simple, no-frills, registered marriage ceremony, braved being rejected by them; till he finally discovered one such ‘gem’ for me! A perfect match - my husband Ramesh! What a beautiful coincidence it was, to have my husband sharing my beloved father’s name!  Of course, I soon discovered that they share several endearing traits too! In fact, I often joke that they could pass of as father and son!            

                      He is also a great multi-tasker and shows us how life must be lived and enjoyed. He is great pals with our friends too and they envy us for having such an easy-going and friendly father. We are never scared of him and always look up to him for any advice, and he has never ever failed us. He is a living example of how a person can be a constant source of joy for everyone around him! He is very helpful, dependable and doesn't thrive on any ego. He takes equal pride in my mother's and our achievements. He never boasts about his accomplishments, which are quite a few! 

                      He’s blessed with a photographic memory as he remembers people and places, even after meeting and visiting them just once, no matter how long ago! He’s a good singer, a great artist and an excellent palmist. His exhibition of water-paintings and fabric paintings was very well-received by one and all! He’s fond of listening to good music and watching movies. He dotes on his grand-daughter and constantly teaches her new things. Apart from our family, his friends at the Senior Citizens’ Association are his other lifeline. He enjoys spending his time with them and often goes for picnics and other programs, with them. They miss his lively and cheerful company when he is not around. His enthusiasm is highly infectious!

                      He appreciates the wonders of Mother Nature and has inculcated the same perspective in us too. He has always encouraged us to be forthright and fearless, honest and just, in our dealings and interactions with others.

                 Thanks to these two great teachers, my mother and father, we siblings have become well-balanced individuals and always strive to make them proud of us. For them, we are three little gems and for us they are our heart and soul! We owe everything to them. Dear Amma, we miss you a lot!

                      Thank you Anna, for always being there for us!

                                                                                                                        





No comments:

Post a Comment