Sunday 27 October 2013

Home-maker

I traded my office for my home

& my files for my spatula

I’ve come a long way

from the board-room to the kitchen

My deadlines vary from day to day

The demands on my time are lively & varied

The clutter is endless, there’s no end

to my family’s madness!

Piles of dishes to clean before I sleep

Dreams of menus while I sleep

Nightmares after I wake up
(Do I really sleep?)

Life’s one merry-go round

of teas, breakfasts, lunches & dinners

With in-between snacks thrown in for good measure!

I’ve to anticipate desires & moods

irrespective of mine!

I’ve to placate, mediate, intimidate, cheer up

the inmates of my home, time and again.

I’ve to be one step ahead

of my ever-errant house-maid

lest she turn me into a nervous wreck !

I’m a doctor, lawyer, gardener, interior designer

cook, waitress, captain, chaplain, etc. all rolled into one

as the need of the hour demands !

Sometimes I get perks like an outing

or even a day off!

Though I’m not paid in cash

I’m always paid in kind

by my family’s happy, relaxed faces

after a hard day’s work outside

When I’m sick, everyone is instantly by my side

They pray that I get well soon

and immediately take over my duty!

Yes, my job is challenging & stimulating all right

But I love it & will never trade places again!

The copyright of this poem is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan
*********************************************************************************
Please read my story titled 'Ram Kumar Chaubey's Lifeline' and tell me how you enjoyed it.
**********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment