Monday 9 September 2013

My best teachers-A heartfelt tribute Part 2

Mrs. Bharucha,who taught us English in the junior college at Nowrosjee Wadia College was another dynamic and savvy teacher who taught us the lessons and explained the poems in her inimitable style. She would intersperse her lectures with a peppering of worldly-wise wisdom. For example, when she was explaining a poem describing a love story, she suddenly said,"Girls, remember,when you will eventually marry, marry someone who is slightly lower than you in your status. That is the key to a happy married life!" We were dumb-struck.
 
Once before her lecture, I had drawn the picture of a skull with two cross-bones and written "Danger" beneath it. As an after-thought, I wrote 'English' on the top portion of the black-board, as I remembered that the English lecture was due, just then.

She swept into the class in a cloud of expensive perfume, after I had taken my seat. She took one look at the board and said in an amused tone. "So that is what you think about English!" The whole class roared with laughter as I squirmed and prayed that she didn't ask who was the culprit. She didn't!

She had the habit of asking synonyms of the difficult words as she explained the lessons. I was a front-bencher who would always raise my hand and immediately give her the expected synonyms. She once remarked, "You have a very good vocabulary." I was in the seventh heaven that day.

I often remember her for the easy-going way in which she dealt with the students, her perpetual grin, her mannerisms, her loud make-up and fashionable style of dressing and her strict sense of discipline. She made the lessons lively and interesting. Her class always had cent per cent attendance!

Another teacher who left an indelible imprint on my conscience is Mrs. Haimanti Banerjee. She taught us Film Appreciation in the Bachelor of Communication and Journalism, Post-degree, Degree course of Pune University, the classes of which were held at Ranade Institute.

She would be always dressed in elegant hand-loom saris with ethnic blouses. A huge red bindi would adorn her high forehead and her hair was always tied in a bun. She was tall, had an imposing personality and a booming voice. She would explain the finer aspects of Indian classic movies and world cinema with great intensity. She would show us the clippings on the projector and subject us to a running commentary about how a particular frame had been conceived and how the various genres of movies developed over the years.

 The history of Indian Cinema and World Cinema is still crystal-clear in my memory, thanks to her vivid description. In fact, while writing the exam paper, I had absolutely no difficulty in answering any question, as her lectures literally played in my sub-conscious mind like a live relay!

She accompanied us to New Delhi for the study-tour and was a very lively, articulate, witty and intelligent companion. She encouraged us to ask questions and gain knowledge, at the various places that we visited there, like the Press club, Bureau of Parliamentary Affairs, etc. She was very sympathetic and concerned when the frame of my spectacles broke and a lens slipped off. As we were staying in the Youth Hostel in the posh Embassy area where there were no shops around, I had to roam around for three days, nearly blinded, due to my myopia, hence she ensured that I got it repaired at the earliest opportunity, when we visited a shopping area.
 
She fired the students who blew up obscene amounts of money on shopping saying, "Please remember that it is your parents' hard-earned money!" When she asked me how much I had spent, I said, Rs.130/- She was pleased to note that I'd been frugal and praised me.

She even guided us in editing our news-magazine Vritta Vidya. She was friendly, accessible, supportive and very adorable.

(To be continued)

***********************************************************************************
The copyright of this write-up is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan

No comments:

Post a Comment