Saturday 14 September 2013

My Best Teachers-A heartfelt tribute Part 3

Mr. Arun Joglekar, the teacher (guruji) who taught me Hindustani Classical singing at the Bharat Gayan Samaj, was a meticulous instructor and an exacting task-master. He was partially blind and used to commute all alone, from a distance of about 10 kms. to the music centre for imparting lessons in singing, sitar, tabla, etc. I was struck by his independent nature and the ability to take life's bitter lessons with a dose of humor.
He would make me sing the notes again and again, till my vocal chords protested. Once I was out of breath and paused for a breather. He asked me why I had stopped practising, and I said that I had run out of breath. I replied in colloquial Marathi, "Hawa geli" (The air has gone). He thought that the Harmonium which I played while singing along to its accompaniment, had not been played properly and hence the air had gone out of that wind instrument. I said, "Fufusatli hawa geli" (The air has gone out of my lungs!) He burst out laughing and said that I had a whacky sense of humor, whereas I had been too tired to crack a joke!
He knew how to put his over-smart students in place by being curt with them. His tone would convey the message as sharply as an arrow hitting the bull's eye!
When I told him that I was just interested in singing and not in giving the tedious exams on the subject, he was over-joyed and said simply, "Good, now I can concentrate on just that aspect."
He would ask me to write the notations across two pages of the fullscape book, peering closely at what I was doing, and promptly note the errors, with his limited vision. He would scold me if I sang wrongly and even explained the difference between Hindustani and Carnatic types of singing, remarking that the Carnatic vocalists were perfect in taal i.e. rhythm.
Over two and a half years, he taught me around 8 ragas. We developed genuine fondness for each other and his five-year old daughter would address me as Maushi (mother's sister, in Marathi) I also met his beautiful wife and we all would often chat like good friends. Thus the lines between our relationship had blurred from that of a guru-shishya (teacher-disciple) one to that of close friends with genuine respect and affection for each other.
Last but certainly not the least, is my favorite teacher - Life! It has taught me certain lessons that have been an eye-opener, reprimanded me for mistakes, applauded me on my good decisions and always been around, chiding, approving, coaxing, praising and egging me on towards my goals. It is what makes me a vibrant, cheerful and optimistic individual with a never-say-die attitude.
Dear Life, the experience that you have given me will always enhance my personality. Thank you for always encouraging me to see the brighter side of any issue and making me what I am! We will always be together- Till death does us apart!
**************************************************************************************The copyright of this write-up is with Mrs. Priya Ramesh Swaminathan

No comments:

Post a Comment